Monday, March 7, 2011

Say My Name, Say My Name...

I must say, spending three nights out on the town with Beyonce and friends near the end of the week was just so much fun. Thursday evening included an open bar going-away party at Genna’s, cocktails with Birdo, D-and-D (a person haha), and Ms. Knowles at Fresco, and finally a small amount of dancing with the latter at Plan B before his drinks settled on in lol. Endless waters and not standing still ensued. Friday continued with a visit from Dry Bowser and Wario among others from Milwaukee, Beyonce again walking sideways and spinning in place on the dance floor while looking at Club 5’s ceiling :D  Many chuckles had at many people’s expenses… good times! Finally Saturday I was asked to dine with Sasha Fierce along with some cohorts from the past followed by a night at Plan B again, and I had a blast with them all. Beyonce had taken to pretend-hitting on everyone who walked by, which was hysterical lol, while I adopted the persona of Very Mary Kate. It was my favsies…. And having Bee as a wingman pretty much guarantees non-stop laughs, thanks girl :)
This coming week should be fairly promising; I find myself go-go dancing at Club 5 both for Mardi Gras Tuesday and for the usual College Night Friday. And this just in:  I’ll be making an appearance at UW Whitewater’s annual drag show Thursday night :D  Add to this a full time job starting at 8 every morning following these little evenings, and I’m going to die for sure… anything for the fans though! :tosses hair:  Lol jk but really I’ll have a great time at all these events, especially Mardi Gras and the Whitewater show, can’t wait!
Speaking of all these dancing evenings, I was asked something curious recently by a former go-go dancer. The question was “Does go-go dancing ever make you feel like an object? And does that mess with you emotionally?” to which I replied at the time “Well sure, that’s the point isn’t it? But I’m fine with it.” For him, go-go dancing made him feel disconnected and objectified, so he stopped. After thinking about it more, I realized how funny a thing it is. For some reason, a distinction is made between go-go dancer and stripper, with the connotation the latter is degrading, more scandalous and not ok to do, but the former is alright. But how much difference does a small bit of fabric in the front and back make, really? So I can see where the question stems from.
So then going back to ‘am I just seen as an object, is it degrading, does it make me feel bad.’ The reality is that most who come see me dance probably aren’t wondering all that much about my degree or day job. I’m there as a source of entertainment, to help people let go of their day-to-day bullshit and just have fun for a night. Like porn. So I am an object in that sense, but I personally don’t feel like one while dancing, honestly. I think the reason is that I try to engage people more; give a full performance to the current song rather than just moving on a box, invite people to dance near or with me, when tipped ask their names and tell them mine. It makes me come off as far more of an actual person who’s invested and cares about the time they’re having instead of just the money, and I can tell it’s appreciated. So while I know the dancing I do isn’t exactly kosher and invites some ‘omg’s from some, I try to make it a different and better experience than the norm, so no I don’t feel used or negatively altered by it. Interesting food for thought though.
And now a workout and rest to prepare for the week’s festivities starting with Mardi Gras, hope to see a lot of people there! It’s been pretty bumpin in years past so we’ll see. Happy.com/performing!

No comments:

Post a Comment